Saturday, March 05, 2005

The resourcefulness of Homo sapiens

This time it was outside the shower stall. Dripping on the bathmat, I realized that my bath towel remained with the rest of the wash in the bedroom--despite my resolutions on several prior passes to hang it in the bathroom before showering. So I stood now not only without towel, but in abject failure. Between bathmat and hamper stood twenty feet of hardwood floor. Dilapidated hardwood floor albeit; but, as one learns early, water is bad for wood, and without principle we are lost. Are we not? Also my beloved's dry towel hung in easy reach within the bathroom itself. But did I mention principle? So what possibly could I do? Draw on human ingenuity, that's what. Looking down I observed that the bathmat was a thick, coarse weave, making it less limp than terri cloth and just stiff enough perhaps to slide over the door jamb and out of the bathroom. Beyond the jamb lay a smooth clear runway to the hamper. The maneuver I next performed is difficult to describe, because suitable language for this innovation remains to be coined. But I believe the effort of description will be rewarded. To wit, while remaining planted on the mat I advanced the mat like an inch worm--buckling it by advancing my rearward foot toward the heel of my leading foot and allowing the friction between foot and fabric to drag the mat across the bathroom tile. The front fringes of the mat leapt the door jamb with even greater ease than I had envisioned. While I continued to drip all the way down the hall to the hamper, the drops fell on the mobile bath mat beneath me--and not a drop hit the bleached and battered hardwood. At the basket I grabbed my towel, about faced and locomoted back to the bathroom, crisis averted and brought to mind of Shakespeare:

What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god!

No comments: