Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Web as sanitarium

People talk about the Web as an unpoliced and wild place where everything's available and everyone's on their worst behavior. Fundamentally, though, it's harmless and sanitary (that is, provided your PC is properly grounded and your Web phone isn't splattered with Ebola-tainted blood). You live in a community of strangers, whom you address by first name or an alias. You act out roles and relationships you know won't matter when you return to the real world. And though the Web seems like part of the regular world, which everyong can look out at it through portals like nytimes.com--you're not all there, are you?

1 comment:

muse said...

I don't know about others, but the cyber me is pretty much the real me (except that in reality I usually speak French). I'd try to make cyber-me look a lot better, otherwise... hehe ;-)